The City College Grove School of Engineering is the sole entity for engineering education within The City University of New York. Its origins date from 1916, when the Board of Trustees authorized a curriculum leading to the Diploma of Junior Civil Engineer. In 1917, more extensive courses in chemical, civil, electrical, and mechanical engineering were established within the natural science curriculum of the College of Liberal Arts and Science. In 1919, the School of Technology was established with four engineering programs leading to the degrees of Chemical Engineer, Civil Engineer, Electrical Engineer, and Mechanical Engineer, as well as the degree of Bachelor of Science in Engineering. After 1936, the latter degree was replaced by the degrees of Bachelor of Chemical Engineering, Bachelor of Civil Engineering, Bachelor of Electrical Engineering, and Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering.
Effective September 1962, the Board of Higher Education approved a change in the name of the School of Technology to the School of Engineering and Architecture.
In December 1962, the Regents of the University of the State of New York reduced the number of degree designations authorized for engineering programs. The new degree designations for the School became Bachelor of Engineering and Master of Engineering. Authority was given to the College to indicate the branch of engineering in parentheses after the degree title, e.g. Bachelor of Engineering (Chemical Engineering), Master of Engineering (Civil Engineering). These designations have been in effect since September 1, 1963.
Effective July 1968, the Board of Higher Education approved the separation of the School of Engineering and the School of Architecture. The latter is now called the School of Architecture, Urban Design and Landscape Architecture.
Since September 1963, under the authority of The City University of New York (CUNY), the School of Engineering has offered advanced study leading to the degree of Doctor of Philosophy. The doctoral program is available to students from the Biomedical, Chemical, Civil, Electrical and Mechanical Engineering degree programs. In August 2008, The City College was granted the authority by the State of New York to offer Ph.D. degrees in Engineering.
Beginning September 1968, The City College has offered a four-year curriculum leading to a Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Science. Since September 1969, a Master of Science degree in Computer Science has also been offered. The Doctor of Philosophy degree in Computer Science is also available.
Since September 1999, the Doctor of Philosophy degree in Biomedical Engineering has been offered. Since September 2000 the degree of Master of Science (Biomedical Engineering) and the degree of Bachelor of Engineering (Computer Engineering) are available. Since September 2002 the degree of Bachelor of Engineering (Biomedical Engineering) has been offered.
In 2006, the School of Engineering was renamed The Grove School of Engineering in recognition of the generous support of its renowned alumnus, Dr. Andrew S. Grove ’60.